Thursday, November 12, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

I want to be in love with the place I live. Everywhere we have lived I have tried to find something about that place that makes it the best at that moment. Yet, doing that in this move to Arizona has been tough for me. I told myself over and over in the summer "You can be happy anywhere" and, while I knew that is true, it seemed like I was also hearing "blah blah blah" behind that thought. I was happy, I am happy, I just wanted to feel like this is home - a place I could happily stay as we don't want to keep moving, especially as our kids get older.

I will always miss the Hill Country of Texas. I will always think a little longingly of the beauty of the place and the people I miss and just the "Texas"-ness of it all. It is an amazing place and one that will always hold a piece of my heart.

I don't know exactly what changed (or when) in my heart, but I have come to know that I have found a place to "put my home." I think, for me, home has become a state of being more than a location on a map. As long as I am seeing my kids grow and thrive, as long as I can serve, as long as I am around people I love, I can be "home." My kids are happy and thriving, there are always opportunities to serve and we can find love where ever we choose. So here I am. And, truly there is no place like home.

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

Thank you for your wonderful perspective! I was reminded of something very similar when we were able to take a few vacations recently... It's sometimes good to get away and remember that as long as you have each other, you are at home. The old adage, "Home is where you hang your hat" is true :)
I'm so glad that the kids are thriving, that's fantastic news. I'm so glad you blogged again, keep 'em coming!

Brady and Berta said...

Welcome Home!

Sarah said...

We are very glad that your home is nearby ours for the time being!

Heather Magnusson said...

I'm like you.. wanting to feel at home with each place we moved in the military... now that we've been here in Arizona for 5 years.. longest place we've lived anywhere.... it's home. My kids are happy here, I'm becoming to think the desert is beautiful :) Besides, where else can I be awakened to the sound of coyotes.. right in my back yard!

Kristi said...

Thanks Anna, I need to work on my attitude ; )